VISION OF BONDHU CHULA
Ensure smoke free and fuel saving cook stove Bondhu Chula at every house in Bangladesh within the golden jubilee of the liberation of Bangladesh and birth century of the father of Bangladesh Bongabondhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 2021.
MISSION OF BONDHUCHULA
Bondhu Chula’s mission is to serve the nation as a sustainable development partner by contributions to the communities. The organization is committed to innovation in saving fuel for cooking and lives of woman and children, reduction of environmental pollution.
BACKGROUND OF BONDHUCHULA
There are about 30 million households in Bangladesh that use traditional stoves for cooking – in rural and urban areas. . The traditional stoves are quite energy inefficient and are a major contributor to indoor air pollution resulting in almost 50,000 deaths of young children and women per year and serious health problems for millions of women. GIZ started promotion of improved cook stoves (ICS) in December 2005, using the clay stove model developed by IFRD of BCSIR. To overcome the quality problem GIZ introduced in 2010 concrete as the material of choice for manufacturing ICS. Now all stoves supported by GIZ and its partners are made from concrete. Virtually, there is already at least one partner in every upozila who is manufacturing /selling concrete ICS; but much more work needs to be done.
HISTORY OF BONDHUCHULA
GIZ started promotion of improved cook stoves (ICS) in December 2005, using the clay stove model developed by IFRD of BCSIR. The major focus of the GIZ intervention was on establishment of a self-sustaining supply chain for stoves; this included massive training of stove builders (more than 10,000 persons were trained). Dissemination of the improved stove was quite rapid but monitoring showed that the quality of the stoves built was not always according to design standards – as each clay stove is built in situ the margin for error is quite high. To overcome the quality problem GIZ introduced in 2010 concrete as the material of choice for manufacturing ICS. This allowed mass production and significantly better adherence to quality standards. Now all stoves supported by GIZ and its partners are made from concrete.
WHAT IS BONDHUCHULA
Bondhu Chula’ is a modern and environment friendly cook stove. Size and design of the stove is scientific. The wind passes into the ‘Bondhu Chula’ in two ways so that the energy can burn well on the grate. The smoke goes out of the house through the chimney at the time of cooking.So the kitchen is always smoke free. ‘Bondhu Chula’ is made of concrete and lasts long.
The main parts of the Bondhu Chula are:
DIFFERENT TYPE OF BONDHUCHULA
One Pot Stove
Pair Pot Stove
Two Pot Stove
Three Pot Stove
BENIFITS OF BONDHUCHULA
- Bondhu Chula saves 50% fuel compared to conventional stove.
- Use of Bondhu Chula reduces on average 1 ton of biomass (wood, cow dung, dry leaves, etc.) consumption per household per year.
- Use of Bondhu Chula reduces 1.7 ton of carbon dioxide emission per household per year.
- Kitchen remains indoor air pollution free.
- Use of Bondhu chula reduces the risks of diseases like eye irritation, asthma, headache and cancer (In Bangladesh, 32000 children and 14000 mothers die every year due to indoor air pollution related diseases [WHO, 2006]. Many illion people suffer.)
- Kitchen remains clean and dirt less.
- Damage of CI sheet of kitchen reduces.
- Bondhu Chula contributes to risks reduction of climatic change.
1. Coordination with local governments for implimentation.
2. Creat and Development of ICS entrepreneurs.
- Training of trainers
- Training of entrepreneurs
5. Awareness building/marketing .
6. Market development grant:
7. Production and installation of ICS
8. Maintenance and users’ training:
9. Prepared and maintain Database of entrepreneurs and installed ICS.